--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> Although I did use some scientific terms because I believe that this kind of
> claim could meet such a threshold in principle, it makes just as much sense
> through the perspective in this sentence:
>
> "practical and solitary nature of the TM practice eventually won out."
>
> You felt results so you continued, right?  Not scientific but practical.
>
> If we lower the bar below a scientific threshold and say
> "this claim could be practically demonstrated so that people of good faith
> could appreciate that it was true"  wouldn't we be back to the need for
> demonstration?  This is not a claim that you will feel better, it is about
> the world so we can share in its evidence together, in a strictly "aw shucks
> ain't that a sight Ma" kind of way.
>
> You are making a case for apriori faith in the system which is fine for
> believers.  But since this is in principle testable, even if we accept that
> for people who already believe it is not necessary,wouldn't the message go
> out to more people just as it did for TM?  Even though it wasn't the science
> rap that drew you in, it was the thing that made it rise above other
> spiritual practices in popularity.
>
> So I get that you don't find this necessary, what I am challenging is why
> isn't this a priority in an organization whose purpose is to spread this
> knowledge and preserve Maharishi's teaching.
>
> So on an individual level, sure I agree.  But this is a claim about the world
> and it will involve cash from donors right?
>
> There are plenty of ways that we use to distinguish fact from fantasy in
> life.  None of them that I know of are against such a demonstration even if
> it doesn't meet true scientific standards.
>
> They say they can do this wonderful thing, show us as artists who want to
> appreciate its glory.
>
> Is that a better fit?

There have been a number of large well-designed studies recently, such as the
Templeton study, of 'intercessionary prayer', which seem a lot like yagyas.
These studies failed to show any effect. Psychic, long-distance phenomena have
been studied for years without making a dent in the scientific community as the
results have never been clear cut, and studies have been found to contain
serious flaws which became evident when replication attempts failed, such as
the Targ-Puthoff long distance viewing study many years ago. The result of this
study seems to have been mentioned by MMY in the Science of Being and Art of
Living as an established fact, but in fact, the result was disproved.

The TMO is only interested in favourable positive results, and this is not the
proper attitude when conducting a scientific study where one is trying to find
a way to conclusively show that there is a difference between the hypothesised
effect and the null hypothesis. In a scientific study it does not matter on a
knowledge basis whether the result agrees or disagrees with you. It might
affect a career if a study fails, but that is not what is being sought.

Finding out stuff like this can be easy or difficult. It would be fairly easy
to design a study investigating how much a guitar has to be out of tune such
that everyone can recognise that it is in fact out of tune. Finding out if the
Higgs boson exists is much more difficult. Thousand of researchers and
engineers are required just to isolate a small aspect of the search as to
whether it exists at a specfic energy level.

Finding out if yagyas work would be difficult but not imposssible as similar
good quality experiments with prayer have already been done. I would not expect
the movement to conduct such an experiment, and even if it did, if the result
was negative, I doubt it would ever be announced for in a population where
belief trumps reality, this is what happens.

I have had yagyas performed on my behalf, and I have never noticed anything as
a result, so I am naturally sceptical of them. Yagyas seem to be satisfactory
as a wallet vacuum, but their reality is very tenuous in my mind. they remind
me of Papal indulgences.