This post is an epistemological field day!  It brings up many questions about
how we can be confident about what we know.

The question of proof.  Unlike the statement. Jesus saved me so I will live
forever when I die, these claims about effects in the world can be proven. If
they were true they would crush all skeptics.  So Xeno had to use as close as
he could get to even find such a study.  Why is that?  Here is an area where
believers could shine, so why is this the only study that even comes close to
these claims?  You could say that the religious people who are most into yagyas
don't care, but the movement has no such excuse and has been pitching yagyas
for decades now, the claim is in Maharishi's earliest books.

Hard to argue with Judy here.  Of course this is a generic criticism whenever
you have a study that doesn't use exactly the same technique.  So if some yagya
guys's deal doesn't pan out then it can be claimed that it wasn't Maharishi's
super yagyas.

But that is why applying science need requires humility and she has a point.

I would expect after all these years of study and people's genuine enthusiasm
to prove these claims that we would have something substantial to show for it
all by now.  Is that unreasonable?  I mean when you have claims about things in
the world you can test why not go for it?  The press would be all over it, they
even love shitty science on flashy topics.

On the other hand the amount of fraud that has been turned up in these
demonstrations is appalling.  This is an area where people are determined to
dupe scientists so you have a separate problem from the usual ones in
scientific discovery, willful fraud.  What other area of science has so many
people willing to bullshit scientists? (Well lst's see pharmaceuticals...OK
every area where money can be made.) So you need a magician in the lab too.  Do
you need a magician in the lab when you do intelligence tests?  No.  People can
be deceitful and get it wrong but you don't have such a concerted effort for
flim-flamery.

If the field wants respect it needs to tighten up, police its own, and produce
the real deal.  The believers should be the most offended by fraud and the most
eager to root it out rather than attacking people who are skeptical and try to
catch the bamboozelers.

Again Judy scores in something important to keep our eye on, the distinction
between disproving something and not confirming it.  There is a slight spin at
work here though because in science, not being able to replicate something can
be a bad sign for the claims.  It depends on the strength of the follow up
studies and how good the original research was.  If there were fundamental
flaws in the first studies but not the second, it is as close to disproving as
you get in science sometimes.  It can be the equivalent to no effect being
found so no reason to support the claims.  We would have to hear specific
criticism of the both studies which I'll bet Judy is looking for.   And again
it should be the believers who are the most rigorous in this area to make sure
that it gets confirmed.  That is how science helps detect bad protocol. I'll
have to do some research in this specific study, perhaps the discrediting went
further than non replication.

I don't think this is the best angle on disproving the claim that it is in
there.  I hope someone checks my SOB is buried under books I am more likely to
read.

> > > Actually I meant a cite for the Targ-Puthoff results being
> > > "disproved." I don't know about SBAL mentioning the study.
> > > Don't care about that one way or the other.
> >

> You hate God and Maharishi. Period.
> Whether you are correct or accountable in your endless pursuits of putdowns
> does not matter the least.

This is probably what caused me to post.  Although typical Nabbie I would like
to make a case that this attitude does not serve your cause well.  What is
Nabbie's cause?  He has a bunch of them but they have one thing in common, his
shooting the messenger attitude toward people who is skeptical.  And here is
where it doesn't serve the cause of believers.  If it is real, it will hold up
to scrutiny.  And just like it would go a long way toward world acceptance for
Muslims to be the ones grabbing the bad guys by the ears and holding them up as
being traitors to the faith, I would like to see paranormal enthusiasts be the
most critical of bad research.  I would like to see the TM group being the most
hard ass skeptics that they had proven their claims in science.

It shows good faith that we share the goal of actually piercing the veil of
occlusion rather than supporting another version of "pay no attention to the
man behind the curtain."  I'd like to blab more but that landing is not getting
any more stuck than that!