--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:

> On May 6, 2012, at 9:58 AM, Susan wrote:
>
> > > Yep. The increasingly sedentary lifestyle since the 60's we can probably
> > > vouch for ourselves, being raised in the generations that went from kids
> > > playing in yards after school and on weekends to cable cartoons after
> > > school and Saturday morning cartoons. Scouting around neighborhoods
> > > today, you see few children ever outside, despite neighborhoods filled
> > > with kids. Of course video games, computers (and computers in cell
> > > phones) and the web has just accelerated these inwardly-drawn,
> > > self-absorbed dweebs, fed on commercials and TV and their "inner" lives.
> >
> > I see today's kids are having lots of connections with others, but not face
> > to face. I think they have too many connections and too much input and are
> > stressed greatly by all the different expectations of the different people.
> > Probably better for young people to have just the number of connections and
> > interactions you could have face to face and in real life. These kids are
> > the transition from the old style to the new, and our systems have not
> > grown to be able to handle it - yet.
>
> Maine has a good number of lower income families, so an interesting piece of
> this puzzle is that there are still generations here who grow up living and
> playing and hunting outside simply because their parents don't have the money
> to hook them to the web or whatever. But - all Maine 7th graders in Maine get
> an Apple laptop, have for years. This way you make sure the poorer families
> don't become part of a technological underclass.
>

> > > There's some speculation that in response to these changes a transitional
> > > being may be being born. These are the numerous, many probably as yet
> > > unknown, levels of the autistic spectrum child.
> >
> > Do you mean this in a spiritual way? If so, I doubt that. Altho I do think
> > that our tech culture has allowed techy, introverted people who are mildly
> > on the spectrum to thrive and marry and produce offspring who also are on
> > the spectrum, only more so. So it is being passed down more these days. I
> > bet that within a few decades, science will allow us to bolster and repair
> > that part of the autistic spectrum brain that is different to the point of
> > dysfunction.
>
> What I'm saying is if digital introspection is part of a disease process,
> it's only natural that this could or would have a ripple effect for future
> generations. If we pathologically dissociate from the world we live in, we'll
> develop nervous systems that are modified accordingly. So this raises the
> further question: people who spent large parts of their life meditatively
> cultivating an introspective lifestyle, are there also negative adaptive
> mechanisms that kick in there? Meditative texts are filled with lists of the
> side effects of such meditations, what if there's something to them?

Re digital introspection - I wonder how long it takes for such brain changes to
be established to the point they could be passed on to offspring.  I would
guess it will take a few generations for us to see the full (possibly horrid)
impact of this major tech shift.  A bunch of people who can't think deeply
about anything? Who can't focus for more than a few seconds? Multi tasking is
something I find annoying - in colleagues at work it is AWFUL.  And I do it
too, sometimes, and feel odd as a result.  The tech revolution might  also have
some great effects, too.

As to the consequences of spending so many hours with eyes closed?  I never
thought of that - someone should research that.  Twenty minutes twice a day
seems at worst benign and at best very beneficial; a full TM program every
single day, year after year, who knows?