Attempting to pour oil on troubled waters, I'd like to point out that while
Judy is correct that "core inflation" has been rather low lately, the essential
cost of living has risen drastically due, at least partly, to the price of oil.

About 30% of the cost of food is tied directly to oil pricing (transportation
costs etc), and there are also issues having to do with the relative weakness
of the American dollar compared to the European dollar, which has emerged as
the standard for many things (some people believe that Hussein's desire to
start accepting Euros rather than dollars was one very important reason why
Gulf War II happened).

My own belief is that monetary supply has very little to do with the rise in
the cost of living, simply because the Fractional Banking system already
ensures that the supply of money is dozens of times larger than the capital
that backs it. Printing 50x as much money suddenly might cause hyper-inflation,
but printing 10% more or even 2x more, is merely a tiny blip compared to what
the banks already do, money-supply-wise.