> Ok, thanks for explaining. So, who IS one of your favorite
> writers? I mean, that I might be familiar with given my
> limitations, weirdness, Domeness, etc. (-:

I'd rather not say, because there are some here who
will leap upon them as a way of leaping upon me. But
there are a few I've mentioned in the past. For funny,
it's hard to beat Christopher Moore. For mastery,
Dorothy Dunnett.

The bottom line for me when it comes to "Favorite
Writers" is the same as for "Favorite Movies or TV."
Repeatability. That is, do I want to read it twice,
or even more than twice? As much as I liked Nora
Ephron, she never met that criterion. The corollary
to this criterion is whether the writing in question
gets *better* with every reading. For Chris Moore,
and for Lady Dunnett, this is always true.