> Oy, I've never even heard of your favorite writers! Which
> I'm sure sez way more about me than about them (-:

Not really. Chris' books sell well, but he's not as
well known as many American humorists. Dorothy wrote
primarily historical fiction, which is not everyone's
cuppa tea.

> Anyway, I do the same thing. I read/watch stuff over and over.
> Same with music. Some people don't understand how I can watch
> a movie over and over once I know the story. Or reread a novel.
> It's that my enjoyment is derived not only from the story, but
> also from how it's told.

Exactly.

> And I'm also sensing that my taste is a little more low brow
> than yours. Vive la difference!

Not necessarily. Chris writes very middlebrow humor,
with occasional forays into brilliance, such as his
"Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's
Childhood Pal." It's one of the most spiritual books
I've ever read. Really.

As for Dorothy, she was a trip. She was the wife of
Lord Alistair Dunnett, editor of The Scotsman, and
real-life model for Ian Fleming's James Bond. She
only started writing in her late 30s, but developed
a rather fanatical following, among whom she is
regarded as the best writer of the English language
in the 20th century.

It's the mastery thang, as I suggested before. She
writes the best plots in the world, her history is
always impeccable (far better than historians'),
but above all it's about her characters. They're
like peeling an onion. You think you know them
when you first meet them, but 2000 pages later
she can make you gasp and say, "Jesus...I never
saw that coming. Now I have to go back and read
the book from the beginning." Suffice it to say
I have done just that, many times.