On Jul 18, 2012, at 11:41 AM, sparaig wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2012, at 11:30 AM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > You misunderstand the essence of TM. THere is absolutely no
> > *mandate* to return to the mantra. You only return to the mantra
> > ***IF*** you notice that you are not thinking it.
>
> I believe this is a fundamental misunderstanding of TM practice - and
> part and parcel of the 'institutionalization of effortlessness',
> which is really an inculcated fear of balanced attention.

Sigh, teach your own technique to your friends, and not try to analyze TM, thanks for playing.

I'm merely being a realist: if you're lost in distraction (i.e. vyutthAna, the" outward stroke") then you're not transcending. If you're not transcending, then you're meditation is not transcendental.

Therefore, you should not call it Transcendental Meditation.

How 'bout "Lawson's Transcendental Meditation"? Outward Stroke Meditation? ;-)