 From: emptybill <emptyb...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:19 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Iranitea and Xeno: SSRS's instruction on silent
awareness during meditation

Reply to post #315421:
Lawson, that's the dawn of knowledge, when you know
that you don't know anymore, all your previous knowledge has been evaporated.
There is a very good practice in Zen to cultivate the 'don't know' mind.
Iranitea and Xeno,
 This "don't know" mind is
difficult for TM trained people to comprehend. This is because MMY's whole
teaching presents itself as the practice of direct, non-conceptual sensory
perception
resolving itself back into the field of awareness. Since that awareness is
described in TM as "all-knowing", these two types of teaching appear to
contradict each other. However, the reality is different.
  Back in mid 80's, I practiced
for a while at a Kwan Um Zen center. Later I practiced with Zen master Seung
Sahn
himself during some three-day retreats (Yong
Maeng Jong Jin/Leaping like a tiger while sitting). He began by asking me
questions I could not answer.
"What
is your name, where do you come from?"
I hesitated with my answer since I had already read some of his Zen
teachings.
Seung Sahn laughed and said, "This is easy … your name
is William and you came from you home in "xyz."
I said "yes".
Seung Sahn …"So just give your answer, it's easy."
Then he asked me …
"So tell me your true name before your parents gave
you one?"
I was silent, unable to answer. He continued …
"Then show me who you are before your parents were
born!" "Quick, before thinking  … what is
it?"
I was unable to answer.
He then took his stick and poked me in the hara/duntien
below my navel.  "Answer from here!"
Although I had practiced moving from the hara/duntien during
twenty years of karate and tai chi, I still had no answer.
I could only say – "I don't know".
Seung Sahn looked at me directly and said, "Under all conditions
keep this "don't-know" mind".
He then showed me a way to answer
this question.
Years later a teacher pointed
out that what we believe we know are actually just concepts. For instance,
whether we say "The apple is red" or "Der apfel ist rot" or "La pommes est
rouge", the object before us does not change
because the name we select is either "apple, apfel or pomme". Likewise, if we
aggregate all possible descriptions and names together, we still have only
labels
rather than the actual object. We can cut it up for a pie, use it as a
substitute
baseball or stick an antenna on it and shoot it into space. However, none of
these names, concepts or utilizations reveal to us what that object really
"is".
Such a
view directly points beyond mere description to what something actually and
ultimately
"is, is, is". Thus, while we know that
an apple is red in color, what is "red"? What is "round"? What is "sweet"? What
is "color?  Also, just because we can describe
a monochromatic spectral frequency and wavelength, this does not define what
this
something "is, is, is".
What is the
consequence?
Ultimate
ineffability, real and actual
unknowability … whether self,
other or a thing.
Unless we
realize that we can never "know it", we will never understand that we can only
"be
it" and that such "being it" will never be attained but only actualized when we
realize  directly that we are already "being"
itself.
This is
not SCI but it is the original MMY teaching about Shankara's three fields of
life … doing, knowing, being.  BTW,

As a trained TM teacher, when I heard such statements as "You need to keep a
`try
mind', it appeared to be the antithesis of TM. It troubled me until I set aside
my ideological mind-stamp and realized that they were actual talking about
maintaining
a resolute, single-minded intent, void of wavering. Such can be mindless
ideology,
bereft of awakened contemplation.