--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 08/06/2012 09:55 AM, Vaj wrote:
> >
> > All jyotish algorithms that I'm familiar with use standard
> > astronomical routines for earth-based positions, not
> > extraterrestrial ones. So if you wanted to use the earth launch
> > point, you'd be in luck, but if you want to use a Martian one,
> > you'd be out of luck.
> >
> > Add to that that all jyotish is cognized from an earth-centered
> > worldview, you'd have no jyotish-based predictions to even
> > utilize.
> >
> > The only way around this is use an astronomical program that
> > allows views from other solar system vantage points, and then
> > apply standard jyotish to the resulting sidereal information.
> >
> > Your best option might be to consult a living jyotish rishi
> > like yogi Karve.
>
> You would have to develop a system for Mars but given our advanced
> technology you might just instead keep statistical records and look
> for cycles. I strongly believe that's all astrology is about
> anyway: a rough system of tracking naturally occurring cycles
> using the planets as markers.  You have two kinds of jyotishis:
> ones that believe we're the puppets of the planets and others who
> look at it abstractly for sort of an event weather report with a
> propensity for things to happen.

I can just hear it now, after the colonization of Mars,
some future Martian Jyotish astrologer is gazing at
the chart he's just drawn up for a suck...uh, I mean
client, and saying, "Oh. Bummer dude. You have Earth
rising in the 10th house, both Phobos and Deimos in
your 7th house, and Earth's moon square up Uranus.
You're fucked.  :-)