--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mjackson74" <mjackson74@> wrote:
> >
> > Ha! That's true - I stopped actively participating in the Movement after a
> > 2 year stint working on staff at MIU (wonder if there are any statistics
> > for how many people quit the Movement after a staff experience at a
> > Movement facility)
> >
> > So I wasn't totally aware of all the projects - oddly enough when I was
> > still a Movement junky the very first time I had an odd feeling about it
> > all was during the Taste of Utopia course in '83-'84 when Maharishi asked
> > for some large amount of cash for some project. I remember feeling "Didn't
> > he just ask for a bunch of money for some other project a year or so ago?"
> >
> > Writing this reminds me of a staff meeting we had with Bevan when he had
> > just come back from Europe with M and was talking in glowing terms about
> > some guy they had heard of who was loaded, as Bevan said
> >
> > "He is as rich as Croesus. And these are the kinds of people we need to get
> > meditating. Because if he starts doing TM, he can give us his money and we
> > can use his money to further the cause of bringing the world to
> > enlightenment."
> >
> > I remember thinking what about his personal enlightenment? What about the
> > benefits to the rich guy? You only want him for his money?"
> >
> > but as I was not yet ready to leave MIU I kept that though to myself.
> >

> So, what ABOUT his personal enlightenment?
>
> IF group meditation has the effect on the individual and the world that is
> claimed for it, the most benefit anyone could ever get for themselves AND the
> rest of the world would be by sponsoring group meditation in sufficiently
> mass quantities to bring about world peace. As an added bonus, they could
> participate in the group themselves.
>
> Can you even *conceive of* something that someone could do for themselves
> that would lead to greater long-term benefit for themselves, assuming the ME
> exists as advertised?
>

> i certainly can't. Mind you, I don't know that the Maharishi Effect exists or
> not, but if you genuinely believe that it does, what other attitude is
> legitimate to take, when dealing with a wealthy potential donor?

The ends justify the means eh? Even if that means conning money
out of people for things that aren't going to happen. Part of
me thinks that if god didn't want them sheared he wouldn't have
made them sheep but there is a much bigger part that has respect
for people and couldn't ever see them as dumb cash cows to be
wooed with empty meaningless promises like "you get back twice
what you give". Folie a deux, if you wish.