--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@...> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7dSTdHziMs

So uh...let's see now...mmm...you are making the connection between...uh mmmm
uh well I guess you could be...no...could the white whale be...that doesn't
seem like it could...well maybe if you were looking at it from the perspective
of...no that seems unlikely...a whale is not a fish so...

OK, you got me.

Funny you should bring up whaling because outside the context of what I wrote
it makes so much sense you might be able to claim it was all a psychic vision
about me.

You see I vacationed on Nantucket Island off the coast of Cape Cod for many
years and was well infused growing up with the history of what was arguably the
most important industry in American History, our own Saudi Arabian liquid gold,
whale oil.  It literally lit up our nation.  This week in cleaning out our
ancestral house with my siblings I took home whaling harpoons that my father
had carefully tied ropes onto, duplicating the complicated knots he studied at
the Nantucket whaling museum.  I spent hours there as a ten year old staring at
real shrunken heads and thumb screws and other devices designed to bring
discipline to the motley eclectic crew on a whaling ship that could spend up to
three years to find and process whales, before returning home to their opium
addicted wives on Nantucket.  These ships were a model of multiracial and
multicultural society way before their time.  There is a great movie on
streaming Netflix telling the story of this history that I recommend:  American
Experience, Into the Deep

As a boy on Nantucket I spent a lot of time picking out sperm whale's teeth to
buy.  This was before the ban and they were cheap enough for my thin wallet.
My dad took up the arcane art of scrimshaw and I have a few beautifully etched
teeth telling the story of the ill fated Essex where a particularly ambitious
whale turned the tables and with whatever is the blow hole equivalent of "no,
no fuck YOU" crashed the boat to splinters.

Nantucket was the whaling hub, the center of the universe long before it became
a place where the hoity and the toity could stock up on highball glasses etched
with sailing ships.  What that promo showed very well was how audacious it was
to spear one of these massive creatures and go on a "Nantucket sleigh ride"
until it tired enough for them to get close in their tiny boat.  What they got
wrong was how many spears they threw into it as if that was supposed to kill
the whale.  What really happened was that after the whale got tired pulling the
boat along and they got close, they used a long lance that was plunged over
five feet into the whale to hit its heart.  I have one of those now too.  I am
hoping to use it on a home intruder some day as a distraction while I dispatch
him with my Walther.

I also have a Masey Toggle Iron which was the height of whale technology.  It
was a spear that once inside the whale toggled outward to set the lance with a
wider pivoting head to make sure it wouldn't pull out during the ride.  All
modern sensitives to these magnificent creatures aside, it was a ballsy thing
to do taking them on in their element.

So I may have missed your intent but thanks for the nostalgic writing prompt
Robin.