mjackson74:
> Beautiful way of saying all we need is meditation and
> all the rest including vastu is expensive fluff, good
> for the Movement's pocketbook and dubious prestige but
> totally unnecessary for enlightenment or to live a good
> fulfilling life.

In TM you get one single bija mantra and all the rest is
just fertilizer. All you have to do is water the seed
syllable and enjoy the fruit. You probably got your bija
mantra for $35, so what? LoL!

According to the Indian mythology 'mantra' is the
'primary seed sound of the universe', called 'Shabd' in
Sanskrit. In the Rig Veda Shabd is personified as 'Vac',
the first primal sound percieved as human speech.

According to the Indian tantric theory the devas and
bodhisatvas do not take kindly to being addressed by
their real names, which are seldom known by ordinary
people.

So, some yogi fakirs of old thought they knew the Gods
well enough that they could even call the gods by
nicknames!

Calling upon the Gods with their real names is very
sometimes offensive to the Gods, according to some
fakirs, and confusing to the people who cannot understand
nonsense gibberish.

Apparently, some uninformed dillatante types once
overheard some of these so-called 'secret' names being
chanted in Buddhist hybrid-Sanskrit at a drum-bangin'
yoga camp-meet, amd mistook these for the real first
names of the Gods.

This, in itself is a strange tale, as it implies a
hierarchy of those who pretend to know the secret names,
those who 'wanna know the names', and those who do not
know any nick-names, except ones they read in a
paperback book.

If bija mantras were to be used to address the Gods in
secret or public ritual praise, Sage Patanjali would
have said so in the 195 aphorisms, would he not? Or, if
any bija mantras were known to be used back then, the
historical Buddha would have mentioned them, right?

Now for the historical facts:

The bija mantras were first invented by the so-called
'Eighty-four Mahasiddhas' specificaly as meaningless
sounds to be focusing on for yoga meditation practice,
according to Naropa and sGampopa.

Read more:

'The Jewel Ornament of Liberation'
sGam.po.pa, Herbert V. Guenther (Translator)
Shambhala, 2001

'Masters of Mahamudra'
Songs and Histories of the Eighty-Four Buddhist Siddhas
By Keith Dowman
State University of New York, 1986