--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

CURTIS: This exchange made it worth participating on FFL this month! Thanks.

ROBIN: A wonderfully generous and fair and noble summing up. We are grateful
for this, Curtis. I entirely concur--and not under duress either. I envy your
brotherly love with Barry.

> > CURTIS: That was a bit of a revelation and a cogent analysis of why we
> > can't get there from here between some posters.

ROBIN: Indubitably. The self-objectivity of you and Barry in terms of
appraising your performance on FFL, it is something I strive for, Curtis. Well,
at least you don't have to worry about getting crucified for your willingness
to stand for the truth. Curtis: I am the way, the truth, and the life. Except
you come through me you cannot enter the kingdom of Curtis. I wish I could
enter that kingdom, Curtis. My conscience in this regard is my enemy.

> BARRY: Glad you enjoyed it.

ROBIN: I enjoyed it too, Barry. But my response carries the universality of my
pleasure in it, not the inside fidelity of my friendship with you. "Glad you
enjoyed it"--why even have to say this out loud to each other, Barry? We all
know that you would be glad that Curtis enjoyed it. Stick with the secret
handshake. Don't give away the initiation ceremony with all the skulls.

> > CURTIS: Since I know the hypothetical guy you were imagining...
> > it also explains why it can be fun to go point by point
> > to stimulate a different part of my brain. That was
> > largely what doing philosophy involved and I enjoy that
> > in a different way from creative writing.

ROBIN: What a guy we have here who presents himself to us. Inside talk to
Barry: closed off to the rest of us. This quarantined talk between you and
Barry: it is a singular phenomenon on FFL: no one else acts as if their bond
was a Freemasonry; only you and Barry. This is decisive in its sentence of
failure. I don't know any posters on the other side--the hostile alliance
arrayed against you guys--who speak in a kind of intimate sphere of seclusion.
A wonder, this. You have stopped talking to reality; you are only talking to
yourselves. Hope this works when you come to the Big Event that all of us face,
Curtis. But then you are a True Believer.

CLICK

> BARRY: Professor Phillips points out that neither of these modes
> of brain functioning are superior, and in fact the real
> benefit is that we can switch between them, to train and
> develop different parts of the brain. In her words,
> "...cognition is shaped not just by what we read, but how
> we read it." Reading rigorously and analyzing the ideas
> presented and even the structure of the language and how
> the ideas are presented exercises one mode of functioning
> in our brains, and cultivates that mode. Reading just for
> the fun of it exercises another mode of functioning, and
> cultivates it. Both are necessary to see the world around
> us clearly, from a balanced point of view.

ROBIN: You and Curtis: You guys didn't even have to read the theory: it is
already embodied in the performance of each of you. This is just
self-congratulations. You are reading a description of what your brains do
perfectly already. I like this. I am jealous of this. It is an achievement
which we can only lament because it is clear, from the tone of your
conversation with Curtis, that the rest of us have been left out. "Reading
rigorously and analyzing the ideas presented and even the structure of the
language and how the ideas are presented": this is an exercise that is manifest
in every one of your posts, Barry. "Both are necessary to see the world around
us clearly, from a balanced point of view".

Oops! I get it. This is Monty Python.

But since I can't quite bring myself to believe that, I am going to take you
and Curtis seriously from here until I get to the end.

> > CURTIS: Drilling deeper into this thoery I can also see how being
> > attacked here stimulates a pseudo fear mechanism that
> > prompts and urgency of response. Combined with things
> > that a reader feels are inaccurate it creates a sturdy
> > chain to pull and get pulled by. That may be a case for
> > not posting in a place where a lot of that goes on. It
> > is hard to resist getting pulled into that cycle,
> > especially when not much more of that writing is going on.

ROBIN: For your position to be true, Curtis, it requires that Raunchy's three
satirical pieces didn't make it. Are you prepared to lie through your teeth and
declare that it is your honest experience that Barry's assessment of the
efficacy of Raunchy's dialogues is in agreement with a truth beyond and outside
of your, my, Raunchy's, and Barry's POV?

Your loyalty to your friend comes ahead of any regard for truth. And the
appalling and ludicrous implication of what you say here is: NO ONE BUT YOU AND
ME, BARRY, ARE WRITING WITH HONESTY, CLARITY, AND SINCERITY. EVERYONE ELSE IS
WRITING OUT OF FEAR AND DEFENSIVENESS AND INSECURITY. This is so fatuous. You
don't believe it for a second--BUT YOU WILL NOW FIGHT TO THE DEATH TO MAINTAIN
THE LIE YOU INSINUATE IS THE TRUTH HERE. This immunizing yourselves from the
critical judgment of anyone who would quarrel with anything you write here on
FFL--how maladaptive is this? This is an anti-Darwinian principle you are
living by, Curtis: survival of those most willing to cheat their conscience.

> > CURTIS:  I used to think about some of the back and forth stuff
> > about Maharishi's philosophy here as more of the first
> > thing, the stimulation of the close attention part of my
> > brain. As it has drifted further and further from any
> > content, it has become less and less satisfying in that
> > regard, so I switch to the creative but negative angle
> > creating images of trollish scenes to keep me interested
> > in writing.

ROBIN: Some of the posters here on FFL have attempted to take your measure,
Curtis--and they have written with conviction and honesty and force. You have
never once addressed them in a way which would convince any honest witness that
you were willing to contemplate the possible truth of what they said such that
you could demonstrate in your rebuttal that you had experienced why and how
these criticisms did not apply to you--COULD not apply to you. (Or your
expatriate buddy.)

You must, to be honest to your past, remember our friendly and complexly
reasoned dialogues before we fell out with each other. There has been so much
going on here on FFL, Curtis, and when you make smug and indulgent
generalizations like you are making here you utterly betray the truth of
history, your own conscience, and the experience of every honest reader on FFL.
This is a disgrace. I never knew you could be so craven. I cannot believe the
experience inside you, inside Barry, which permits you this license with the
truth. If it served your amour propre, you would, in coming back from the front
in World War I, describe the fighting as a mere skirmish. You have been wounded
here on FFL, Curtis. And the matters at stake have been serious indeed.

 > > CURTIS: This really gives me a lot to think about, thanks for
> > that Barry. I would like to become a bit more conscious
> > of my outcomes here and ultimately if being here is where
> > my real outcomes are likely to get met in becoming the
> > kind of writer I want to be.

ROBIN: I don't know if FFL will serve "the real outcomes" you are seeking as a
writer, Curtis, but for sure you will get a dose of a form of reality which
challenges your cherished and FANATICALLY HELD assumptions about yourself,
about truth, and about reality. So being on FFL was all about improving your
writing, then? No, Curtis, you have been drawn into battle, and you have fought
for your goddamn life. You have not emerged triumphant. Live with it, Curtis.

> BARRY: Much more research is being done by this same team,
> including fMRI scans of readers to determine how the
> two different modes of reading affect such things as
> how they experience emotion arising from what they're
> reading. Will those emotions be stronger and affect
> the person more when reading for pleasure, or for
> analysis?

ROBIN: Well, Barry, when it comes to disputation, argument, debate, your brain
is not getting ANY exercise or stimulation at all--but you know this. Your
heart is dead. Raunchy has hit you hard in three instances--and has beautifully
and incontestably succeeded, as eventually your silence will tacitly give proof
of. You never analyze the argument of your critic, Barry. Once more: You never
analyze the argument of your critic, Barry. Everything anyone needs to know
about Barry Wright is found in Raunchy's three dialogues. Everything you need
to know about yourself. What a terrible sentence: never to know what that
minimal state of internal grace is whereby ONE KNOWS ONESELF AND HOW ONE
APPEARS TO OTHERS. And Christ wept, Susan.

> BARRY:  But one of the valuable things learned even so far
> from this projects is that each of us has the ability
> to *change the way that our own brains work*. We can
> shift them from one mode of operation to another,
> just by the *intent* we bring to our reading. This
> is a discovery that I cannot help but relate to work
> on mindfulness meditation and fMRI, which has also
> shown that we can control which areas of our brains
> "light up" and are used or not used, depending on
> whether or not they are appropriate for the
> circumstances.

ROBIN: This must be the most ironic paragraph ever on FFL (as uttered by the
author): "Each of us has the ability to *change the way that our own brains
work*." Not yours, Barry baby. PAY ATTENTION, BARRY. I am calling you on your
disgraceful trip here. Reality may have given up on you, Barry. Seems that very
well may be the case. There is no shift of modes with you, Barry; you are one
algorithm--I have not felt you experience the impact upon you of anything
written in response to anything you have written. You have made yourself
invulnerable to reality. When your brain "lights up", Barry, I'll tell you.

> BARRY: On the literature side of the equation, these
> experiments may help us to understand the impact
> that great writing has on us. As Natalie Phillips
> says, "...give us a bigger, richer picture of how
> our minds engage with art – or, in our case, of the
> complex experience we know as literary reading."

ROBIN: You seem incapable of having a "complex experience we know as literary
reading", Barry: you are sealed up in your world, and this spectacle of you
posting--in polemical fashion--is one of the most extraordinary experiences of
my life: because you are so unwilling (I suppose unable) to receive into
yourself the tremendous intention of reality to break into you and knock some
sense into you. Too many honest and sincere critics coming at you, Barry. You
judge your critics and make an even more severe judgment fall upon your head.
Raunchy has spoken the last word with her third dialogue, Barry Baby.