--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@...> wrote:

> Feste is actually in semi-permanent hiding at an undisclosed location
> (although it's possible he could be tempted out by the prospect of meeting
> the divine Ann).
>
> Just to add to your picture of Fairfield, we just lost our movie theater
> here. Closed. Gone forever. We are now a small midwestern town without a
> movie theater. Perhaps some bright spark will organize some movie nights at
> the Sondheim, but I can't see anyone coming along to buy the old Co-Ed. Pity.

Wow, I used to go to movies there. I went to Batman (the first film with
Michael Keaton) with a date and she walked out because of the 'negative' vibes
of the film she created in her mind. I have not been to Fairfield in a long
long time now. No movie theatre in the town I live in now either. A dying
breed. Too expensive to install digital projection equipment without a big
organisation or other financial backing, a theatre cannot make enough on the
pitiful portion of the entrance fee they get to keep and on the popcorn etc, to
buy this stuff, and are too small to provide the variety people now expect.
Used to be we got two movies, a serial, news, and a cartoon - that's the late
1940s and the 1950s for me.

Does that leave Ottumwa, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids? I never went to a movie
in Ottumwa.