On 09/28/2012 11:19 AM, emptybill wrote:
> Share, don't be fooled by Wiki-Willy.
>

> Willy is quite the name dropping amateur but he didn't bother to tell
> you that the real identity of Swami Agehananda Bharati was actually the
> Viennese academic - Leopold Fischer.
>
> Fischer was a polyglot and teacher, a Professor of Anthropology at
> Syracuse University. He was a Sanskritist but in India that only gets
> you halfway. Consequently, when he wanted to do fieldwork in India he
> needed better Indian credentials. Therefore, he went to India and got
> initiated into one of Shankara's dashanami monastic orders - that is why
> he had this swami name. What Willy isn't telling you (because he doesn't
> know) is that in India, no one with real knowledge will talk with you
> about the important stuff unless you are a sannyasin.

Not exactly true.  There are plenty of documented cases of westerners
going to India and learning from gurus without taking sannyasi.  However
you do have to remember that terms get a little "thrown around"
liberally in India so "sannyasi" can just mean "student."  Taking
sannyasi is more important in right hand tantra than than left hand
tantra which many householders teach.

Willy also likes to berate my tantra guru because he was in the military
and flew fighter jets.  He did that to follow his guru who was also in
the air force as an aeronautical engineer (and continued in that line of
work after leaving the military).   That's no different than some
protestant minister who is a building contractor during the week.  Willy
has a very narrow and naive view of how this all works.  What is
important is the knowledge these people have not what they do to have a
regular income.