On 9/2/05 9:09 AM, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Keep in mind you have numerous HOSPITALS which lost electricity and
>> some are completely surrounded by water. In such a situation, these
>> people will take first priority to people standing around.
>
> No, sorry, but there's no damn reason why
> evacuating hospital patients should mean an
> inability even to do an air-drop of water and
> food to the people who are "standing around."

Unfortuantely for those people, their city, who knew quite well the problems
with the low-lying area (in their own city), were very poorly prepared for
their own, already known location issues. The nature of politics demands
that these NOLA and LA. Politicians now blame someone else.

Now the poor pay the price.

>> You also have to consider the basic nature of
>> triage--the people who are in imminent danger are going to get first
>> attention and the people standing around who are merely displaced
>
> You aren't paying attention.  They aren't "merely
> displaced," they haven't had any food for days and
> some of them are dying of dehydration.  There are
> people among them who are just as sick and in need
> of emergency medical attention as those who are
> being evacuated from hospitals.

What you have to understand is access will be blocked to these areas. For
example, even the Red Cross will be barred from entering an area with known
violence.

Their have and will continue to be drops. People are being bussed out and
will continue to be.

Unfortunately they aren't going to risk flying into an area and losing
important rescue crafts and lives if people are shooting at them! This was a
huge part of the recent problem. Why on earth were they shooting at their
own rescuers? This shifted the whole tone and tenor of the operation. The
message sent to the rescuers: come and get us, but we might be shooting at
you!

>>> I'm listening to a tape of the mayor of New
>>> Orleans being interviewed by phone from last
>>> night on CNN, cussing a blue streak about what
>>> is NOT happening.
>>
>> Maybe he should take more personal and administrative
>> responsibility for the shortcomings of his own planning and
>> foresight and appropriate response infrastructure in an area that
>> as recently as two years ago was hit by a major hurricane.
>
> Maybe, but there's plenty of time for him to do
> that later.  Taking responsibility is not going
> to help the people who are in extremis and not
> receiving any help NOW.

Unfortunately it is the lack of preparedness on his part that is
exacerbating the problem her and now.

>>> Somewhere between 15,000 and 50,000 people are
>>> marooned at the Convention Center in New Orleans
>>> with no food, no water, no sanitary facilities,
>>> no medical attention, no INFORMATION.  Most of
>>> them have been there since Wednesday; the media
>>> has repeatedly reported on their plight.  Babies
>>> and old people and sick people are dying of
>>> dehydration because they don't even have WATER.
>>
>> This is not true, they are receiving water and food.
>
> Maybe they are *now*, but if so it's only in the
> last few hours.
>
> Bush is quoted as having just said they're "trying"
> to get food and water and medical help to the
> Convention Center.
>
>> The critical people
>> are/were being lifted out. Remember, the rules of triage apply.
>
> Don't tell me to "remember."  Get food and water
> to the people who don't have any so they won't
> die before they make their way to the top of
> the evacuation priority list.
>
>>> And the head of FEMA last night claimed the feds
>>> didn't know anything about them.
>>>
>>> That is just *criminal* incompetence.
>>
>> The city of New Orleans and the state of LA should carry the burden
>> in terms of incompetence.
>
> Bullshit.  The incompetence of the feds is
> happening NOW, and people are dying as a
> result.

LOL, you're clueless.