--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Time,

> > > intended to fund
> > the
> > > state and
> have,
> > > they chose
> > > take  any
> > > government do  it all
> > > occur.  That's
> > > demanding
> > >

> > > Why was it that after 9-11 Rudy Giuliani became known
> as "America's
> > > Mayor"?  I think it's because, first and foremost, it is the
> local
> > > officials who must take responsibility for disasters.  And then
> > > there was Pataki on the scene as well.  Certainly, Bush entered
> the
> > > scene and gave moral support as well as federal funds and, of
> > > course, because the attack was from the air, the federal Air
> Force
> > > got involved and air traffic stopped for several days...but my
> > > image is of the local and state officials taking charge and
> running
> > > the show.
> > >
> > > Certainly, things are NOT being run properly and, yes, it is
> fair
> > > and proper to assign blame.  But why the apparent focus on the
> Feds?
> >
> > Do you suppose part of it was that after 9/11, except
> > for the immediate area of the disaster, the city's
> > infrastructure was still working just fine and we
> > didn't *need* the feds to come in?
>
> All bridges to the city closed off?  Much of telephone
> communication cut off?  Roads clogged?  Sorry, I don't think that
> is indicative of "infrastructure working just fine".

Well, actually what it's indicative of is that
you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Phone service was just fine everywhere but in the
immediate area.  TV and radio stations affected by
the disaster quickly found other ways to transmit.
Electricity was still on and water still running
all over New York except in the immediate area.
There were no shortages of food or any other supplies.
Hospitals weren't affected.  Mail service wasn't
interrupted except to and from the immediate area.

The bridges were closed only temporarily, I believe
only the first day.  Roads weren't "clogged" any
more than they usually are.

As I said, New York's infrastructure, in stark
contrast to that of New Orleans, was in working
order *except* for the immediate area of the
disaster.  Most people's lives weren't affected
at all, except psychologically.

In other words, bad as it was, it was so different
from New Orleans that your attempted comparison is
just ludicrous.

> Regardless, it is obvious that the disaster relief in NOLA is NOT
> working right. Should Big Brother in Washington be the one
> responsible?
>
> I wonder whether if it were terrorists who blew up the 3 or 4 levee
> sections that appear to be the cause of all the flooding whether it
> would be the Feds who would everyone would be blaming?

I imagine that if the feds' response was anything
like what it has been in New Orleans, everybody
would be blaming them for an incompetent relief
effort, yes, indeedy.