Share Long:
> In Fairfield, the two most popular forms of
> qigong are Golden Shield and Spring Forest...

Qigong is derived from the Yogacara Buddhist
tradition of India. The 'Qi' in 'Qigong' is the
Sanskrit 'chit', the pure consciousness described
by the founder of the sect, Bodhidharma.

Qigong is derived from the Indian Buddhist
Yogacara, or the "Consciousness-only" school (see
note 1 below).

It is said that Bodhidharma went to China in
order to teach meditation. When he got there he
was introduced to the Emperor, who asked: 'Who
do you think you are? To which Bodhidharma
answered: "I don't have any idea. Sir!" (see note
2 below).

So, Dharma went on his way, crossed over the
Yangtze River and went to Mount Wu Wei. There he
founded the Chan School at Shaolin.

Although Bodhidarma was already enlightened,
he sat in front of a wall, just gazing, for
nine years, thus teaching students how to practice
meditation and how to transcend.

In order to keep his students in good physical
condition, Bodhidaruma is said to have introduced
to his students the art of self defense called
'Kung Fu' or 'Shi-ba Lohan Shou'.

Note 1:

According to Shakya's dhyana school: (1)
*conciousness* is the only reality; (2) the
nature of conciousness is *intelligence*; (3)
there is a natural law, causation, which
operates in the realm of the relative world
of time, space and action.

Note 2:

In commenting on Bhagavad Gita, MMY has
brought our attention to the existence of the
gunas, whose concern is action, which, in
every case, is the result of the interplay
of three constituents born of nature - eternal
becoming, termed 'prakriti' in the Gita.

However, MMY has called our attention to the
fact that nature, governed by the three gunas,
is entirely separate from the transcendental
field - the field of Being, termed 'Purusha'
in the Gita.

Work cited:

'On the Bhagavad Gita'
By Maharishi Mahesh Yogi