In a message dated 9/4/05 11:18:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
"Mayfield said the strength of the storm and the potential disaster
it could bring were made clear during both the briefings and in
formal advisories, which warned of a storm surge capable of
overtopping levees in New Orleans and winds strong enough to blow out
windows of high-rise buildings," the paper reported. "He said the
briefings included information on expected wind speed, storm surge,
rainfall and the potential for tornados to accompany the storm as it
came ashore.

"We were briefing them way before landfall," Mayfield said. "It's not
like this was a surprise. We had in the advisories that the levee
could be topped."

Chertoff told reporters Saturday that government officials had not
expected the damaging combination of a powerful hurricane levee
breaches that flooded New Orleans.
Judy , there are some key words here. Mayfield uses the word topped when describing what could happen with the levees. He said nothing about breaching. I'm sure you know the difference. Topping is water spilling over the top, which the pumps most likely could have handled. Breaching is the levee breaking and giving way which is what happened, the pumps could not function at that point. Even the Army Corp of Engineers said they levees should have been strong enough not to breach but they did anticipate they could be topped or have spill over if a hurricane exceeded a category 3. That's why you have pumps.That is also why I'm very interested in this report about a barge damaging the levees.< As for the administration trying to politicize or lay blame. I have heard Bush from day one say he expected his people to not get involved in that, but stay focused on the job. However the media keeps raising the issue "why didn't FEMA evacuate the city when they knew the levees could breach". The response is a matter of fact that the law states that it is the responsibility of the state and local governments to do that , not FEMA. The Media is trying , knowingly or not, to blame the administration for what the State and City should have done in the first place.