> The same thing -- sadly -- looks like it is going to
> happen with "The Bridge." I've heard that there is an
> American ripoff series of it in the works, which prob-
> ably means that Americans like yourself ( unless you
> upgrade to piracy :-) will never get to see Sofia Helin's
> work in the original.

Agreed - an extraordinary character/performance.

I share most of your list (especially Breaking Bad). I hesitate
to suggest some of my other favourites as I'm not sure if they're
available outside the UK.

One program I found fascinating was on "Sky Arts" - actor
"Brian Blessed: In Confidence".
http://skyarts.sky.com/in-confidence/brian-blessed

(As Henry VIII on YouTube: http://youtu.be/zZl3BDtT5cA)

I think many folks here on FFL would be very interested in
his "spiritual" side. He would spontaneously meditate from
an early age. At one point he mentions going to a meditation
centre in England run by disciples of the Shankaracharya of
Northern India". Who he? ;-) A fine programme about a truly larger-
than-life character in every sense of the word.

Then there were two programmes which, whilst good in themselves,
really came into their own in juxtaposition.

The first was Richard E Grant's "Hotel Secrets" in which our
hero visits the most expensive and ostentatious accommodation
in the world. It's a tough job; someone's got to do it (for us).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUt8WVBbmgw

Grant is a great companion on this "journey" (ain't everything
a journey nowadays?). But the levels of excess on display are
mind-blowing. Just for example - at one point he talks us
through what it's like to tuck into a $5,000 hamburger. And
so we get an enumeration of the visceral: "Oooh, grrrh, aaah,
YES, YES, YES!". But he means it.

That's fine, but when it's taken with the next programme,
you get the full existential hit. This was the BBC's "Welcome
to India": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXdnGXjV-fI

Here we saw folks - very cheerful, happy, non screwed-up
folks on the whole - living at the exact opposite end of the
human material condition. So - much food for thought.

Anyhoo, Merry Christmas FFLers everywhere. I expect the missus
will now insist on the ritual Christmas Eve viewing of Alastair Sim
as Scrooge...