I think the Segway is goofy also, but don't discount that it is fun to ride.
I've never been on one, but, of course, with my experience as a Trikke rider,
it's pretty easy for me to see what thrills they can get.  Paltry thrills
comparatively, but for some, genuine.

I do things at 15 mph that scare me.  Call me a wuss, but relatively speaking,
I don't think my nervous system can produce much more in the way of a chemical
basis for "thrill," without it becoming "too too."

But, yeah, Segways are marginal at best -- way expensive and complex.

And though I ride mostly my motorized Trikke that I customized, the speeds
involved DO challenge me to stay on board, and that take a ton of fitness.

Here's a Trikke video -- try to imagine the kinds of muscle groups that must be
taut and dynamically at the ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DquInEZdTc

Here's my latest Skki video in which I'm the cameraman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euiW4obGDpo

Edg