 From: Xenophaneros Anartaxius <anartax...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 4:35 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Study: Participating in MahaKumbh improves
physical and mental well-being

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" wrote:

>>> My bad. On second glance this does not appear to
>>> be any kind of "official" website, just one trying
>>> to sell tours there.
>>>
>>> But it is downright silly to pretend that there are
>>> no promises of benefits made about attending the
>>> Kumbh Mela.
>>
>> Sorry, no, you've stepped in it again. I never said
>> there were "no promises of benefits made" about
>> attending. And of course the fulfillment of the
>> promise of "eternal life free of sins" is not one
>> that was measured by the study. All it looked at
>> was the reported well-being of the pilgrims after
>> attending.
>>
>> Nor did the study's conclusions aver that anything
>> mystically spiritual happened to the pilgrims to
>> improve their well-being. Rather, it was the communal
>> experience that did it--very much like attending a
>> ball game.
>>
>> So you've gone out on a limb again, it snapped in
>> two, and you've done yet another face-plant.
>>
>> Everyody here knows that when you make an ass of
>> yourself and someone points it out, you try to go
>> after the person in an attempt to save face. Almost
>> always, as in this case, you lose even *more* face.
>>
>> This has happened to you countless times since I
>> first encountered you 17 years ago, and you still
>> haven't gotten that when you make a mistake, you'll
>> look a whole lot better admitting it.
>>
>> That's why it's such fun to correct you and watch
>> you do it to yourself all over again, as if you
>> somehow think it's going to be *different* this
>> time.
>
> And you know, you can tell when he is REALLY smarting because he drags out
> the shopworn DC moniker. That thing is so tatty, moth-eaten and ugly I don't
> know why he hasn't taken it to the dump years ago. But I guess if he did he
> would actually have to come up with something else he thinks will really get
> the women going. Barry is not exactly known for his expansive repertoire; he
> likes to stick with the tried and true.

Ah. these jovial discussions. After all the research done on the placebo
effect, one can with fair confidence assume that in any situation where people
are either expecting a result, or are engaged in some activity in which they
have an invested belief, the placebo effect is probably operating full blast.
High quality studies done at NIH in the last ten years or so on various
alternative medicine treatments seem to indicate that it is entirely the
placebo effect that produces a result from these treatments.

We could expect the effect to operate where people are on pilgrimages to
various locations, such a Lourdes, etc., though proving it to any degree would
likely be difficult or impossible as a pilgrimage is a situation where one
cannot effectively apply scientific controls. Both sides of this 'debate' are
valid, as to causality. Research on activities with spiritual themes
historically have tended to be sloppy with regard to evaluating the presence
and strength of the placebo effect, and the many avenues by which it can enter
and confound results.

Suppose one did a study on the effect of chewing gum flavours in a spiritual
community. If one of the flavours was Juicy Fruit and the other Lotus Blossom,
you would have to control for some sort of expectation: Juicy Fruit might be
associated in the mind, in memory, with baseball cards or crass, commercial
products one frequented with as a child,  hile a lotus is in some quarters
considered a spiritual symbol. One might reason, based on the way placebos
work, that in this case Juicy Fruit gum would have less placebo effect than
Lotus Blossom gum, and that male subjects would perceive these products
differently than women, and the study would have to initiate controls for this
possibility.