The vagus nerve connection to placebo effect makes sense to me because I've
heard that it's connected to fight or flight, begins in solar plexus, ends in
bottom of pelvic floor.  Personally I've observed that when fear of death
arises, usually there's a tightness in my solar plexus.  I know of one
therapist who studied a technique that involved relaxing the pelvic floor and I
personally know of techniques that involve putting the attention on the solar
plexus area.  I'm glad that we're learning about the importance of this area.

But when you say that some are more susceptible than others, what does that
mean exactly?  That they experience more objectively observable benefits and
for longer periods of time?  That their vagal tone index improves most quickly
but then also returns to original state most quickly?  Definitely a rich angle
on the research.

Some fMRI work could also be done.  See what parts of the brain are becoming
active and when, etc.

What comes to mind is Tara Bennett Goleman explaining the brain neural pathways
like ruts in a dirt road.  The more one thinks the same thought, the deeper
that rut gets and the more likely one is to think that thought again.
Conversely, even ONE time thinking a different thought or taking a different
course of action allows new neural pathways to be activated.  Could be
especially helpful with addictions.

Extending this metaphor, I'd say what Paul Wong's neutralizing process does is
fill up those ruts in the road so that all neural pathways are equally open to
being followed.