Ann:
> Not being a teacher, just a simple meditator, I still
> was lucky enough to witness/participate in a few pujas...

Most all hummans practice the art of puja around a hearth
and most all humans meditate.

Meditation is based on thinking and there's hardly a person
who does not think. And, we're all transcending all the
time, even without a specific technique.

Focusing on a specific object such as fire or a candle
flame is a way to achieve a meditative state. By regulating
attention our ancestors were able to develop long-term
memory and problem solving.

And, by means of fire meditation our ancestors were able to
make contingency plans which gave them an advantage over
other archaic humans. Since good health is associated with
meditation, it is obvious that the healthiest humans were
those who meditated.

Meditation is just what intelligent people do!

Read more:

'Spark of Genius'
Did fire influence the evolution of the human mind?
Smithsonian, December 2012