"Meditation gets you there faster, no?"
No this is a wrong notion that I see being perpetuated by everyone I
hear. Meditation lets you purify your body, mind and senses so the
transition is smoother, easier when the mystical energy descends. When
this happens and if it indeed happens is a big question mark and has no
relation to a regular meditation practice such as in my case. Two years
down the line I seem to agree with Vaj that TM is an unhealthy
meditation technique that can cause abnormal states of mind - better to
stick with hatha yoga, pranaayama etc. So enlightenment is not an
achievement.  This is the problem I had with most on Batgap - what most
are describing there are some altered states of consciousness created by
their meditation techniques.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn  wrote:

> Yes, I get to this state of mind backpacking as well, and at the
beach, and this summer, while camping and hiking in Utah. Â Once I
get there, which takes several days sometimes (faster backpacking), it
stays with me during the trip. Â I always try to bring the state back
to my real life, but I can never maintain it long - within hours or a
day or two, it's gone. Â Meditation gets you there faster, no?Â

> >________________________________
people who brought it up - to Jim

> >Jim stated: "It is anything but a static state, first experienced as
always being grounded in the Self, or permanent silence. Once a person
is established in Silence within, the enlightenment begins to "infect"
everything else. The Silence within can no longer be overshadowed,
destroyed, or disrupted. Sounds crazy, huh?:-)"

> >Actually it sounds pretty nice. And it reminds me of my state of
mind/body when I backpack. One of my goals when I backpack is to bring
that state packing back with me when I have to re-enter the modern
world.