--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> Thanks for posting these.  She has a sweet voice.
>
> With traditional bluegrass (the faster stuff), for me anyway, I have trouble
> listening to most of it

When Curtis said  "I just don't connect with it when it gets too hyper." I
nodded my head in agreement. But perhaps people experience differently where
the line of hyper appears. And it may change over time -- I think that has
happened to me, the more I have listened to bluegrass (and its an off and on
thing with me), the more what I think I would have in earlier days called hyper
and "noise" became flowing, lively and viscerally intelligible.

I find speakers too can make a huge difference. Blue grass, as is most music,
is three dimensional, yet many speakers transform it into what to me sounds
like two dimensions (or less). I started listening to Alison Krauss in the mid
90's and loved her, but after I bought my first semi grown-up speakers, her
music just glowed and shone, became more alive, fuller, richer, much truer to
live (and sometimes better depending on the venue and where you are sitting.) I
find decent studio type headphones can be similar -- and are much less
expensive.

>any way but live. Not sure what it is - too fast, overall sound is too
>high-pitched for me, fiddles come across as squeaky sometimes - I can't relax
>into it. But, live, the whole experience changes
 - the little stories, the acknowledgement and celebration of individual
talents within the bands, the humor, the positive energy - I get in the zone

I think there is a yoga of music, especially a yoga of bluegrass. I love the
mandolin -- to me its the lead guitar of bluegrass and roots music. Its sound
literally appears to open up energy all through out my body - akin to nadis and
marma points. Its like it makes hundreds of points begin to shine and sparkle.
And the fiddle is like energy flowing fast through these freshly opened points.
With certain bluegrass artists and songs I feel so lit up at the end, chills up
and down my spine, goosebumps.