For those of you who have HBO, and who might be interested
in such things, a friend recommends a film nominated this
year for Best Short Documentary in the Oscars which will
be playing on that channel.

It's called "King's Point," and it's one woman's docu about
life in a Florida retirement community, and the "common
demoninator problem" faced by many of the "inmates" there:
alienation and loneliness. I haven't seen it, but I find
myself wondering whether it has some parallels (or will,
in coming years) to life in the "Heaven on Earth" of
Fairfield, Iowa.

Will the same alienation and loneliness affect TMers as
they age in a homogeneous community in which many people
believe the same things and share the same problems (money,
health, and WTF to do with their days), or will their
"common denominator belief system" provide some kind of
buffer to keep the place from becoming, as Leonard Cohen
said so well, "Deader than Heaven on a Saturday night?"

I honestly don't know. Perhaps those with feet on the
ground (in many ways) there in Fairfield who see this
will feel like commenting.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogPostDetails.aspx?postId=4475#

These are the moments when I wish that Dr. Pete was still
with us as an active participant. I'd love to hear his
POV on this, both as a psychologist and a Florida dweller.

What I'm NOT interested in, for those who will feel compelled
to provide it, is a bunch of TM propaganda of the "It can't
happen here" variety, telling us how IN THEORY TMers
could never feel lonely and alienated in a "perfect"
community such as theirs. I think we've all heard too much
about murders and suicides in Fairfield to believe any of
that theoretical crap. I'm not even *doubting* that a sense
of "shared spiritual vision" can be a protective factor as
one ages, even if that factor is primarily a placebo. I'm
just wondering what people's "on the ground" take is on
this subject of the differences between a "theoretical
paradise" (either well-designed and maintained rest homes
in Florida or the TM "ideal communities") and what that
paradise turns out to be like for the people living in it.