--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emilymae.reyn" <emilymae.reyn@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues"
> > > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > (snip>
> > > I see traditional systems as an attempt to define that
> > > mystery within their POV.  I  believe it is premature to
> > > buy into that.  Not to ignore their input, but not jump
> > > the gun and interpret inner experience of altered states
> > > within their framework.  I think we are babies at this
> > > and many people act like they don't know this. Altered
> > > states may not be higher states at all.
> > >
> > > EM:  Perhaps this take is what Judy disagrees with.
> >
> > First, just to be clear, what I was objecting to in Curtis's
> > were not the kind of things he's said in this one.
> >
> > As to his paragraph above, it should be noted that human
> > beings have been interpreting inner experience of altered
> > states for many millennia; we're hardly "babies at this."
>
> "We are babies at interpreting them through the knowledge
> base we have on brain states and psychology today.

Oh, you didn't specify that.

> So yes neuroscience is in its infancy and we are gunna need
> that info to evaluate the value of these states.

Or (much more likely, IMHO) we're never going to get a
meaningful evaluation of these states from neuroscience.

> > Other than that, what he says is too vague and general for
> > me to say whether I agree or disagree with it. I will say
> > I don't think it much matters what ontological framework
> > one uses to explicate higher states of consciousness (by
> > which I mean those resulting from meditation and other
> > spiritually oriented practices of the Eastern traditions)--
> > as long as the framework isn't imposed on others or used
> > to exalt groups or individuals above others.
>
> So you are not interested in accuracy all of a sudden?

Huh?

> You don't want to really know with more certainty, you are
> happy with any version of interpretation.  So seeing your
> meditation as opening you up to demon possession which is
> the fundamentalist's view is equal to your understanding
> from Maharishi?

Huh??

Think you could come up with a few more non sequiturs?

(Which Eastern fundamentalists, by the way, claim that
meditation opens you up to demon possession?)

> > (snip)
> > >
> > > EM:  Interesting.  Judy may disagree with you here also
> >
> > I don't have much tolerance for the kind of psychobabble
> > Curtis is into these days; I don't think it has much to
> > do with the TM experience on its own terms. Or to put it
> > another way, I don't think psychobabble serves to
> > elucidate the nature of or reason for TM-babble.
>
> I purposely did not put this in Lifton's terms to avoid
> this criticism.

Gosh, I don't think I said anything about Lifton's terms,
did I?

> This is simple linguistic philosophy as well as anthropology.

OK, "simple-linguistic-philosophy-babble" and "anthropology-
babble."

> Our use of language defines our sense of what is real
> and can confine us to a POV if we are speaking in
> specialized jargon as is used in the movement.

On this level of abstract experience, what does it
matter what the "POV" is?

> > Here's an example of the latter:
> >
> > "...clear transcending, witnessing transcending, witnessing
> > the celestial level, realizing that what you are experiencing
> > as outside you is actually the same unboundeness as your own
> > Self, having that thread of unity woven into the cloth of
> > Brahaman as even those things not directly perceived are
> > enveloped by your Self..."
> >
> > Obviously these are incredibly abstract experiences that
> > have virtually nothing to do with everyday experience or
> > even of garden-variety altered states. To refer to this
> > kind of description as "providing more emotional
> > experience of understanding something due to pattern
> > recognition" strikes me as an attempt to force it into an
> > inappropriate psychological mold, to demystify the
> > mystical and thereby delegitimize it.
>
> The whole progress of human knowledge has been to demystify
> what was mystical.  Or do you think that it would be better
> to view the sun's motion as Indra pulling it across the sky
> in a chariot instead of planetary gravitational theory?

Huh??? What does Indra's chariot have to do with the kind
of experiences you cited that I quoted? That's *mythical*,
not "mystical."

Haven't you had your coffee yet, Curtis?