j_alexander_stanley@ wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@>
wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@>
wrote:
> > > snip

> > > I think what everyone is waiting for is one of Ann's beautiful
> > > pictures of a building "that resembles native Iowa"
> > > C'mon Ann, you can do it !
> > >

> > What could possibly say "native Iowa" more than Gothic chapels and
Greek revival libraries?

> No kidding! But MUM had the chance to do something very beautiful and
instead chose these monster buildings. Granted, they are a tad better
than the pods and frats although the pods tried to hunker into the
rolling landscape a little bit and they were small, although still ugly.
They were also freezing in the winter whenever the heat packed it in,
which was frequently. I remember being in bed and it was so cold the
water leaking out of my faucet was frozen.

> We are all going to disagree on what is beautiful, but what culture,
what architectural style do these MUM buildings represent?   Soviet
Stalin-ism   When you get a chance to build something new shouldn't it
at least relate to something about the landscape it is placed in? All
these edifices do is shout out, "We think we are different and we want
you all to know it." And, "We like big and we like pretentious."