--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony2k5@...> wrote:

> [...]
> > weekend is about a lot of things, but primarily what I got out of it is a
> > view of how weak and pathetic men are becoming decade after decade in
> > America.  It was a kind of eye-opening experience for me, and i'm thankful
> > for it.  Othwerwise, I do believe I would've continued in life with a lot
> > of perpetual abandonment of responsibility and growth that is often
> > justified by modern American males to avoid altogether.
> >
> > However, the whole sterling men's group turned into a 'cult within a cult'.
> >  Not only were the men from Fairfield mostly meditators, but now they're a
> > part of another new 'paradigm-shifting' group.  I found that a lot of the
> > men in that group were doing a lot of superficial things that were just NOT
> > a part of their character.  It was usually to display some masculinity or
> > manliness.  There were so many of them that would all of a sudden try
> > acting tough, though they never were tough their entire life.  The
> > intensity of their recruiting efforts was borderline psychotic.  I honestly
> > believe that only a sociopath could remain in that group without any
> > serious conflict with others.  Many men who were part of it eventually
> > drifted away due to the same perceptions that I had of it.  However, we all
> > agreed it (the weekend seminar) changed our lives for the better.
> >
> > The funny part about it is that eventually the Head Honcho of all
> > nationwide Sterling groups (Justin Sterling) made an executive decision to
> > disband the group from Fairfield from being an official representation of
> > the 'Sterling Men's Group'.  I'm not sure why, but I think that the leader
> > of the whole gig felt that something was seriously wrong with the men's
> > group from Fairfield in comparison to other groups in the rest of the
> > nation.  He was probably right.  A lot of these men were fanatics about TM,
> > or some other form of spirituality or new-agism.  And if you take someone
> > like that and latch them onto another belief system, it's like the
> > fanatacism goes through the roof.
> >
> > All that being said, I do agree that the weekend has changed some people's
> > lives, but I would strongly recommend avoiding the group activities that
> > come afterward (unless you really enjoy it).  It was a major pain in the
> > ass when I announced to the group that I didn't want anything to do with
> > them anymore.  It's worse than trying to tell a military recruiter that you
> > changed your mindÂ…..literally.
> >
> > seekliberation
> >

> Dear Seek,
> Thanks, good post chronicling historic late 20th Century Fairfield sociology.
>  Good insight.
>
> Yeah, Richard in an earlier post had a good observation about this.
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams" wrote:
>  According to Lifton, cults are a form of 'totalism' and coercive 'thought
> reform'.
>
>   evidently it still is alive in Fairfield.

Fairfield is a veritable breeding ground for these kinds of things. What is it
about the soil and climate, Buck, that encourages such vegetative flourishing
(bad metaphor)? I would love to see a comprehensive list of all the 'teachers',
spiritual guides, leaders of healing movements, healers themselves, enablers,
channels, talkers, enlightened folk, celestial city constructors, seers,
prophesizers, pundits, avatars and whatever else there might be that lurk in
the back alleys off the town square. Anyone care to make a list? Share? I want
to be ready when I come for a visit to book my first week's itinerary and make
sure I cover at least 10% of what there is to offer there.

(Now all you FF dwellers, this was meant as a JOKE. Feste, let's meet at the
Carnegie Library, the one that still stands upright when I arrive and then
perhaps a tea at Cafe Paradiso?)