That looks fantastic, I will track it down.  The experience sitting with
closeup magicians like Doug and Ricky sounds like a peak experience.  That is
the magic that amazes.  I finished this book recently and it talks about the
genius of Dai Vernon and gives and insider's look at the magic scene.

Fooling Houdini: Magicians, Mentalists, Math Geeks, and the Hidden Powers of
the Mind

As you said there are magicians for the public whose attention can be predicted
because they are naive to the techniques of magic, and then magician's
magicians who follow how magicians think and fool them.  There is also a
specialty of kid's magic which is surprisingly difficult because their
attention jumps around unpredictably. Many skilled magicians bomb in front of
kids because they don't remember that you put something in your hand so it
should be amazing when it is not there.  You have to flow with their attention
differently to fool them and have them experience wonder.

Thanks for the heads up, Ricky Jay is great.  Great actor too, like in House of
Games, one of my favorite movies.