-- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@...> wrote:

I think your husband will love the book then.  It is an insider's view of magic
from the perspective of a really smart guy who put off pursuing his physics
masters degree to dive deeply into subcultures of magic that guys who are
interested in magic have heard about, but most of us have never experienced. He
also will give your husband some profound insider tips on magic like finding
decks of cards that are cut the same as they were decades ago when they
"behaved" more naturally in your hands.  It is worth the price of the book
alone.  Through maniacal practice he is able to cut a deck of cards exactly in
the middle again and again.  That leads to some amazing abilities with cards
that seem supernatural.

Beyond that he discusses some of the insights into how we can understand our
perception biases through studying what magicians know about the mind.  He is a
very entertaining writer. Here he is discussing the book and some of its
implications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9lTR-Ea1n8

And here is a version of the card trick that Dai Vernon fooled Houdini with in
1919:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uofad_P7h0