> > Just got off the phone with one of my old TM
> > friends in North Carolina - he just finished
> > reading the Secret of the Mantras - if what
> > he told me was accurate I don't see how one
> > could read the book and not see what a damned
> > old fraud Marshy was

Bhairitu:
> I recall when I came back from TTC I bought a book
> on the Vedas that had recently been published.

There are no bija mantras listed in the Rig Veda.

That's because bija mantra usage came much later,
during the Gupta period of Indian history after
tantra was brought to South India from Kashmere.

> In the book I found the list of many of the beej
> mantras used in TM with the statement that "many
> Indians recite these mantras before having sex."

All  the TM bija mantras come from the Sri Vidya
tradition in Karnataka. Not all adherents practice
left-handed baula-tantra.

> Mantras in general are not secret at all. However
> one given my a guru is generally kept secret
> because of the belief that it will weaken the
> effect of the mantra for the practitioner if they
> give it out.  This is true even if the guru gives
> everyone the same mantra.

A mantra can be anything your guru says it is.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tantra/