 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:29 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] FFL As Sport

It strikes me, parsing the gloat- and hate-fest that
was yesterday's evening's posts, that an accurate
metaphor to portray what does on here on FFL is a
European football (soccer or rugby) game.

Yeah, I know that the rabid fans I'm going to be talk-
ing about would prefer to think of it as a battlefield,
with themselves cast as Arjuna, doing dharmic battle
against the forces of evil. But hey!...get real. This
is just a silly forum in cyberspace, and they're all
sitting at home in the dark in front of a glowing
screen, not actually "doing battle" the way they
think they are.

I think of a few of them -- in particular, the Judy
Clique (Raunchy, Ravi, Ann, Jimbo, Emily, etc.) -- as
clumps of overemotional sports fans, sitting in the
stands, their faces painted with all of those ghastly
MIU publication pastel colors, occasionally cheering
for "their team," but more often razzing the "other
team."

When "their side" starts losing -- as has happened
a LOT lately, with Judy being bested by (imagine
this!) Share at her own parsing game, or her and Ravi
and Jimbo being heartily laughed at by Steve and even
feste -- they do *exactly* what Euro sports fans do.

They complete *ignore* that their own team is losing,
usually on forced or unforced errors, and turn all
their attention to hurling personal insults at the
players for the other team. They'll yell insults
about the goalie's mother, or claim to be actually
winning, even though the scoreboard clearly says
otherwise. Meanwhile the other team just laughs,
and plays even better.

Whatever floats their boats, I guess. I think it's
kinda silly to be so attached to one's ego that one
allows its buttons to be pushed so easily.

Just think, though...if Euro football stadiums had
an "invective limit" the way that FFL has a "posting
limit," these fans would only be able to see one
game a month. :-)

Back here on Fairfield Life, those who have shot
their wad in the first two or three days of the
posting week will be sitting on the sidelines for
the rest of it, not even able to yell at the "other
team." Think how frustrating that will be for them,
and how much invective they'll have built up by next
Friday at midnight UTC, when they'll all "hit the
ground hating" again.

Meanwhile, the actual game of discussing ideas and
dealing with the ideas themselves instead of hurling
insults at those who do goes on without them. As it
always has. Some people are actually on the playing
field, and others are where they've always been --
in the grandstands, yelling.