On 05/13/2013 12:58 PM, Xenophaneros Anartaxius wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

>>> I was traveling yesterday and stopped at a MacDonald's to get some
>>> coffee. Very strong and bitter - Newman's Own Organics so they said. I
>>> did not sleep a wink last night. After getting home, I mostly meditated
>>> (various techniques or just sitting quietly) until dawn. Maybe it was a
>>> caffeine overload. There is a certain joy in taking on nonsense, if it
>>> is not a steady diet. The amount of nonsense in the world is so
>>> staggering though, you have to be very uptight about it to constantly
>>> try to battle with it.
>> Keep some cardamom seeds on hand and suck on one when you get a caffeine
>> overload.  Cardamom is an antidote for caffeine.  Oh, that's some
>> ayurveda though so it must be metaphysical. :-D
> Not necessarily. If in fact it is the case that cardamom can have this
> effect, the effect is independent of ayurvedic mythology. The ayurvedic
> system is an attempt to explain certain facts and predict the results of
> those explanations. Since we are dealing with medicinal effects, the truth or
> falsity of those predicted effects could in principle be tested. Even if the
> system is metaphysical at one level of its explanation, factual information
> derived from the mythology can be tested. The method of science is to do this
> testing. There is actually a lot of psychological resistance to having one's
> theory proved wrong. Even scientists grapple with this. But in religion the
> resistance has incredible endurance, people will go to
> amazing lengths to keep a belief intact.
>
> I have such beliefs. I believe that at Earth atmospheric pressure of 1.0, H20
> boils at 100 degrees C. But I can in principle at least approximately test
> this hypothesis everyday.
>
> Now here is a poem by Cleanthes (331-232 B.C.) He was a student of Zeno the
> Stoic. (note Zeno is a name that does not seem to have any other meaning than
> it's a name. My name, Xenophaneros means Xeno: alien or stranger and
> phaneros: visible or manifest. How I got that name is a mystery. Could I be
> from... Outer Space? My mother thought so.
>
> The following is mythological. It does not deal with facts, it deals with
> subjective experience, what in Windows computer lingo would be called
> 'sysinternals'. To my mind this sort of thing is not metaphysical - the
> process that we label the ego would like it to be metaphysical, so that in
> invoking such language the ego can parade upon the illusion of grandiosity by
> association. It is a story that gets us, if we are inclined to rummage around
> in our experience, to more consciously notice what is there. This poem is no
> different than what the Hindus or the Christians do with their similarly
> flowery language, and as far as I am concerned, has the same import. With
> unity you cannot say in any seriousness that there is a physical and
> non-physical since these aspects of experience are amalgamated, so throughly
> [...]

You take stuff way too seriously. I was kidding you based on what you
said the other day. Indeed I have experienced cardamom diminishing the
effect of caffeine and a bunch of us where I worked kept it around to
tone down any extra caffeination. I don't think it's placebo, it's a
chemical reaction. And actually we we're using it that way to begin with
but more as an after dinner thing which Dr. Robert Svoboda had mentioned
on one of his workshops I attended. I noticed later in a list of
antidotes that it is good for caffeine.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: