Akasha, I'm with you on this.

I'm not going to try to address your points or bounce
off of them, because 1) it's late here, and 2) I'm a
compulsive straightener-uppoer, and I'd have to spend
a lot of time reformatting the lines you wrote to keep
them from wrapping and getting all ugly. :-) So what
I'll do is riff on your thoughts with some of mine.

I am by nature a tantric, in the sense that I get off
on polarities. What I do for fun, and for spiritual fun,
is "surf energies," often the more polarized energies
the better.

I *completely* understand your subjective experience of
having your tendency to objectify women *lessened* by
visiting a strip club. I have experienced exactly the
same thing. When I write, I often do it in public places.
Bars, cafes, whatever. When I really get into the writing,
the surroundings don't bother me. In fact, sometimes they
can help, especially if there is some polarity that exists
between what I am writing about and the environment in
which I am writing it.

I wrote several of the stories in Road Trip Mind while
sitting at the bar of Yab Yum, the most famous brothel
in Amsterdam. I wasn't there to screw the women; I had a
kind of deal with the owner, who owed me a favor, and he
let me sit there and drink and write for free. And some
of the stories -- about Buddhism and the pursuit of
self discovery -- that emerged from that brothel were,
in my opinion, quite high, as was the subjective exper-
ience of writing them.

One of the stories I wrote in the strip club in Detroit
was also spiritual, but set in that very club.  There is
an odd tradition in Tibet in which women or men allow
themselves to be possessed for a short time by a benevo-
lent dakini. While they are possessed, they dance, and it
is considered a spiritual blessing to be present during
such a dance, because the shakti is just flying every-
where. So I invented a story in which one of these dakinis,
thinking she was possessing a holy woman in a Tibetan
temple, opens her eyes and finds that instead she has
possessed a stripper in this club. It was a real ball to
write, and again a very high subjective experience. And
the women in the bar just *loved* it when I showed it
to them.

Anyway, to your points, I think that different people
have different predilections in life. Some, like you and
I, seem to be able to immerse ourselves in an environment
that many consider negative and low-vibe, and emerge from
the experience higher and purified. Go figure. Others, in
the exact same environment, would have their state of
attention lowered. Go figure again.

If you are of the latter predilection, no amount of talk
or intellectual explanation is going to sway you from
your belief that strip clubs are low-vibe and/or that they
objectify women or somehow demean them. It's a "gut" feel-
ing for them; their body just *reacts* to certain stimuli
in a way that, for them, is not positive. Other people
react other ways.

Me, I'm quite happy with my tantric approach to things, with
surfing weird and disparate energies and finding eternity
at both ends of the spectrum and at every point in between.
I'm often subjectively higher, and have clearer experiences
of witnessing, in the red light district of Amsterdam or
in a strip club than I do in a temple or supposed holy
place. Like you, I have to go with my subjective feeling,
even if it doesn't make any sense to people who have a more
traditional, right-and-wrong approach to these polarities.

My favorite singer/songwriter, Bruce Cockburn, has a line
in one of his songs that, for me, captures this dance of
energies perfectly, and also captures the experience of
finding spiritual experiences in odd places, places that
other people might consider distinctly unholy:

You see the extremes of what humans can be
And in that distance some tension's born
Energy surging like a storm
You plunge your hand in
You draw it back, scorched
Beneath it's shining like gold
But better
Rumours of glory...

Unc

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> [...]
others
> > don't. Big deal. And what's wrong or new about different people
> > having different values, beliefs or experiences? Thank goodness
> > people have options.
>
> I am happy to address this, though I believe some of your premises
are
> off target.
>
> I don't experience strong emotional energy around this subject, I
> experince strong intellectual energy around it. As I have stated in
> past posts, I find posting here can, not always is, a useful way to
> unfold paradoxes and unresolved points of view. First by working to
> articulate it. In the process one often learns alot more about their
> views. And second, to get some feedback. I love it when people say,
> "this points doesn't make sense. Or it contradicts these facts". I
am
> less enthralled when people say "you suck, you asshole, for making
> this point."
>
> I don't feel compelled. I can do it or drop it. If anything, there
is
> a drive of curiosity, where will this logic take me/us.
>
> I do not, in my view, write defenses of my positions. First, I often
> do not have firm positions. I may have sup-points that appear valid,
> and I will argue for them, and counter weak arguments against them,
in
> order to "test" the strength of the idea. But I am not defending
> anything. I have no firm positions.
>
> And I try not to critique others. I try to point out holes in some
> positions when warrented. And appplaud when good points are made, on
> either side of the issue. But I try to leave personal attacks out of
> it. And that includes imputing motives to others for what they
write.

> For example, some might mistakenly think that I am arguing for strip
> clubs. I am not. Actually, I find they have some negative aspects.
> What I am arguing is that exploitation and objectification of women,
> upon deeper analysis, and upon my own experience and observations,
do
> not appear to be realities or valid arguments in condeming clubs.
> My message is, no thats not a strong argument against clubs, dig
> deeper. As I am myself. I am not quite sure what bothers me about
some
> of the clubs, but its not the pat and to me trite answers of
> objectification and exploitation.
>
> Plus, I don't like to be guilt-triped into taking postitions for
which
> there is no strong evidence, or worse, which counter my expereince.
> But sometimes, I conceede to conventional views and sigh with
eveyone
> else when a loaded neutron bomb word like "objectification" is
thrown
> terrorist like into a discussion. It scares everyons silent. No one
> wants to be with 300 feet of the accusations of being an
objectifier,