--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@... <no_reply@...> wrote:
(snip)
> As for programmers working tech support, sometimes the applications are
> sophisticated enough that the deep knowledge of a programmer is needed on the
> front lines.
>
> However, their approach to customers is facilitated by training programs that
> outline possible customer issues on the product, and how to troubleshoot the
> problems.
>
> This way, and I have used this approach several times, you have the expertise
> available when you need it, and at the same time have trained the experts to
> more handily tackle the problem. A far more efficient way to go about it,
> than hiring someone without the skills to fix the problem.
>
> Your approach may work for mass produced consumer ware, but it is not really
> practical for many kinds of hardware and software apps.

It is such an enormous pleasure to get a tech support
person who knows what they're talking about.

One of the most useful skills a good one has, BTW, is
to be able to quickly and accurately ascertain the
tecchie level of the user, instead of automatically
assuming they don't know nuttin' (especially if the
user is female).

After a call with a support person like that, one almost
feels like having a cigarette. ;-)