Interesting point about the Buddhists and their market share, Egg.  Maharishi
certainly made decisions of his own that in effect abandoned the teaching field
back in the late 1970's and then he and TM mostly disappeared from popular
culture for nearly three and a half decades.  That of course was entirely his
doing and choice and consequent with a whole generation being skipped over by
his management.  Essentially abdicated the field.  Maharishi was not the only
millenarian leader in the 20th Century to make apparently catastrophic mistakes
in judgment along the way.  Like with their huge peasant economies, Stalin and
collectivization of farms or Mao with the sending people back to the farms in
the cultural revolution.  History shines its own light.
-Buck