So called "mindfulness" (as advertised and taught in the Western world)
is a meditation practice based upon Pali Buddhist scriptures but
truncated to the Western sense of "practicality".

As conducted, it is founded upon the attentional function of
observation.

Get it? Observation!

"Mindfulness meditation" is nothing more than observation of the
activities of the (omni)-perceptional process – sensations,
volitions, thoughts.

While valuable as a self-monitoring process, it is shallow when compared
to the requirements of classical Buddhist dhyana-samaapatti – total
absorption in the "object" of attention through multiple level
of subtly until the subtlest value of experience (neither perception nor
non-perception) is recognized.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig"  wrote:

> I  never said that mindfulness is unhealthy.
>
> There are many health benefits associated with mindfulness.
>
> However, the success is due mostly to a very nicely coordinated effort
by American Buddhists to publish research and promote its practice. The
specific health benefits (cognitive benefits may be a different issue)
of mindfulness are NOT, in general, comparable to those found in TM, but
mindfulness teachers are more easily created than TM teachers, and the
practice itself is less subject to distortion (being a distortion in the
first place, IMHO).

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 no_reply@ wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig"  wrote:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/choke/201106/how-mindfulness-meditat\
ion-alters-the-brain

> > > How Mindfulness Meditation Alters the Brain
> > > Mindfulness quiets brain regions responsible for our sense of self
> > >

> > > TM, on the other hand, actually brings about a higher activation
of some of the same regions of the brain that mindfulness represses.

> > > Mindfulness represses self. TM broadens/expands/enhances self.

> > It seems mindfulness is unhealthy yet it is having a huge success in
the West today. Do you have any explanation for this ?