I'm well aware of the advances and the difficulties.
I certainly didn't intend to slight the efforts and
dedication of the researchers, who did and continue
to do extraordinary work.

I'm thinking of the fact that your former governor,
Ronald Reagan, as president didn't think AIDS was
worth mentioning for far too long; communities sat
on their hands instead of working on awareness; and
funds for research were not that high a priority to
start with. It's a whole 'nother side of the story,
a very ugly one.