https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXMjCnKwb4
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXMjCnKwb4>
subtitled "Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder"
He starts  with John Keats' well-known, light-hearted accusation that
Isaac Newton (it was Theodoric of Freiberg who discovered rainbows were
prismatic) destroyed the poetry of the rainbow by reducing it to the
prismatic colors. And then  shows the reader that science,  not be
feared as a sort of cosmological wet blanket ,does not destroy, but
rather discovers poetry in the patterns of nature

"[I]sn't it sad to go to your grave without ever wondering why you
were born? Who, with such a thought, would not spring from bed, eager to
resume discovering the world and rejoicing to be part of it?"

Beautiful his opening lines a kind of rise above anaesthetic of
familiarity:
"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people
are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The
potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in
fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia.
Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats,
scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible
people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people.
In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our
ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of
birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to
that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally
opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with colour, bountiful
with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a
noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work
at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it?
This is how I answer when I am asked -- as I am surprisingly often --
why I bother to get up in the mornings. To put it the other way round,
isn't it sad to go to your grave without ever wondering why you were
born? Who, with such a thought, would not spring from bed, eager to
resume discovering the world and rejoicing to be a part of it?"

"There is an anaesthetic of familiarity, a sedative of ordinariness
which dulls the senses and hides the wonder of existence. For those of
us not gifted in poetry, it is at least worth while from time to time
making an effort to shake off the anaesthetic. What is the best way of
countering the sluggish habituation brought about by our gradual crawl
from babyhood? We can't actually fly to another planet. But we can
recapture that sense of having just tumbled out to life on a new world
by looking at our own world in unfamiliar ways."

"The feeling of awed wonder that science can give us is one of the
highest experiences of which the human psyche is capable. It is a deep
aesthetic passion to rank with the finest that music and poetry can
deliver. It is truly one of the things that make life worth living and
it does so, if anything, more effectively if it convinces us that the
time we have for living is quite finite."
"The adult world may seem a cold and empty place, with no fairies
and no Father Christmas, no Toyland or Narnia, no Happy Hunting Ground
where mourned pets go, and no angels - guardian or garden variety. But
there are also no devils, no hellfire, no wicked witches, no ghosts, no
haunted houses, no daemonic possession, no bogeymen or ogres. Yes, Teddy
and Dolly turn out not to be really alive. But there are warm, live,
speaking, thinking, adult bedfellows to hold, and many of us find it a
more rewarding kind of love than the childish affection for stuffed
toys, however soft and cuddly they may be."

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long sharelong60@ wrote:
> >
> > salyavin, I like weird ideas too. Even better, something you said
once, about the truth being even more wondrous than fiction or scifi or
something like that. What's a good example? Well even just bird
migration is pretty amazing. Or how they fly in formation. So right, no
need to know about faeries to find the garden beautiful. But knowing how
different flowers bloom at just the right time to get just the right
amount of sun and moisture they need--now that is something that can
make the garden look even more beautiful, IMHO (-:

> Indeed. Animal migration is amazing. and the Monarch buttefly that
flies from Mexico to somewhere in north America, but it takes so