--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> I never said I analysed it, I just assumed it was coloured in PS. Whatever
> you say I still find it boring.
> BTW; you just explained why Ravi labels you arrogant :-)

My purpose was not to undo your thought that the picture was boring to you. If
you find it boring, you are welcome to that feeling. The interest of the image
is how it was made, not the content. As a photograph it is not that
interesting. I am not a photo analyst either. I make mistakes. I just think it
is a good idea not to jump to conclusions so quickly, or to assume.

All this seems to have begun because of your interest in space-faring
civilisations. We currently have two live craft on the surface of Mars. We have
landed spacecrafts on Venus, Earth, Mars, and Titan, and sent one into the
atmosphere of Jupiter. We currently have craft orbiting Mercury, Earth, Mars,
and Saturn, and one that recently left the orbit of Vesta and is heading for
Ceres. The Horizon spacecraft is headed for Pluto, and Voyager 1 & 2 are near
the edge of interstellar space.

Space is huge. The question is whether there is any good evidence that there
are other civilisations out there. It would seem likely because of the recent
discoveries that planets are likely around practically every star. What we know
of the laws of physics presently presents great obstacles to interstellar
travel. As a spacecraft approaches the speed of light, radiation entering from
the direction of travel becomes lethal as its relative mass and energy increase
relative to the spacecraft as a result of its velocity.

With our current understanding of physics, space travel is extremely hazardous
and slow.

It would seem reasonable that other civilisations, should they exist would have
to overcome these obstacles in order to accomplish the kind of space travel we
see in science fiction and science fantasy stories and movies.

As Stephen Hawking pointed out, there are reasons that a space-faring
civilisation might not be benign. They would need resources.

The kind of space travel you have been talking about seems to have derived from
the combination of various spiritual movements, for example, theosophy, with
the flying saucer craze that appeared in the late 1940s. Interesting, but such
combinations seem to bear witness to the worst in human thinking as far as
logic and evidence. Human credulity is rampant in our species. It does serve a
function, but learning how to manage that tendency in ourselves is a monumental
challenge.