 From: salyavin808 <fintlewoodle...@mail.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:59 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Did the Earth move for you?

How the splitting up of a supercontinent 250million years ago led to the
invention of sex

Today we are familiar with our continents being scattered across the globe, but
250 million years ago they were part of one 'supercontinent'. Here TV geologist
Professor Iain Stewart tells how the history of the 'supercontinent' is
responsible for koalas being native only to Australia and llamas to only South
America, but also, most importantly, how the 'supercontinent' brought about the
invention of sex...

We geologists are an odd bunch. We travel through lands that don't exist. The
gateway to these imagined lands are the rocks underfoot. They are portals to
the past. No need for a Tardis or fancy time machine - just a hand lens and a
hammer can teleport us back to ancient geological times.

The ancestral Earths we geologists inspect are very different from the familiar
geography of the present. Today, our great land masses are scattered across the
globe, but repeatedly in our planet's history they have clumped together as
vast agglomerations - supercontinents.

Supercontinents come together every 500 million years or so, as armadas of land
assemble, weld, founder and disperse. The most recent great continental union
occurred 250 million years ago.

Geologists give it the name Pangaea, meaning 'all Earth', but it lasted only
100 million years. Its break-up would give us the scattered continents of
today.

But more than that, the rise and fall of Pangaea would shape our modern world
in the most surprising ways.

For a start, the continental couplings that first gave birth to Pangaea played
a critical role in one of the most important evolutionary developments in the
story of life - the invention of sexual intercourse.

The evidence is preserved in the walls of one of the planet's geological
wonders, the Grand Canyon.

The strata in this gorge span more than a billion years of time, but it is the
uppermost rock layers that track the slow death of an ancient ocean as
continents coalesced.

The grey muds of shallow seas, then coastal deltas pass up into the distinctive
red sands of continental Pangaea.

Among the windblown ripples are footprints which showed that some critters
thrived in this new arid wasteland. Not amphibians, which up until this point
had been the dominant animals on the planet. But reptiles.

A clue to why the ancestors of alligators and crocodiles quickly adapted to the
vast Pangaean desert lies in the way they have sex. Now, gator sex is pretty
much like human sex; a tad more brutish and noisy perhaps, but with the same
style of copulation - internal fertilisation.

For amphibians, fertilisation is a messy and haphazard business involving eggs
being released in rivers and ponds. In reptiles, the sperm is delivered inside
the female direct to the ova. The embryos grow within protective shells filled
with life-sustaining amniotic juices. Young reptiles didn't need external water
to develop.
The hard, impermeable egg was the revolution. It was the great Pangaean desert
that kick-started an evolutionary chain reaction that would lead, eventually,
to us.

There's
 more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2343325/How-splitting-supercontinent-250million-years-ago-led-invention-sex.html