On 06/24/2013 02:25 PM, Share Long wrote:
> noozguru, yes I know about subdoshas but it's been a while since I studied
> all that. I think of pitta as heating and kapha as blocking. Which pitta
> subdosha would be responsible for blocking?

Pitta blocking kapha is not about the subdoshas.  There's probably a
reference in a book somewhere.  Dr. Lad does discuss pitta blocking vata
in his book on pulse diagnosis.

> Congratulations on your Mandarin. Perhaps our Chinese landlords will have use
> for it (-:
> BTW, I wasn't able to find a translator to translate it.

Google translate can't take that phonetic input but does take Chinese
characters.  The Chinese characters may or may not display in the post
though (chances are for anything other than Linux no). Actually I took
an English phrase and had Google translate into simple Chinese then
copied the phonetic version.  I looked a little at Mandarin dialect in
my language software which  *isn't* Rosetta Stone but an inexpensive 3
CD program with 35 languages.

http://www.elanguage.com/learn-a-language-index.html

I was trying to learn Spanish (I had about 4 years of French) but looked
at some other languages including refreshing what Hindi I know. Not bad
software for the price.  Of course you can learn a lot of languages
online nowadays.  As for Mandarin I use that more as a joke as most
likely Chinese coming to the US to do business also know English.

> I borrowed Mad Men Season 1 disc 1 from the library some time ago. Oh, I
> could barely watch it! All that cigarette smoke and the women so cowed and
> overall, something so tamasic about it, IMHO. But I seem to remember some
> lovely black and white cinematography.

The show is  pretty accurate about the times and it amazes a lot of
people how common smoking was back then.  It also traces women's issues
of the day.  It is very well written, acted and directed.