> Ann's turn to PLONK. Simply amazing!
>
> from google dictionary
>
> de·bate
> /diˈbāt/
> Noun
> A formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or
> legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.
>
> Verb
> Argue about (a subject), esp. in a formal manner.
>
> Synonyms
> noun.  discussion - dispute - argument - disputation
> verb.  dispute - discuss - argue - deliberate - canvass

It does no good to point out to compulsive arguers
that they're compulsive arguers, Share. They're not
really human beings; they're just EGOs trying to
assert themselves and (in their minds, at least)
"win" some imaginary battle that is going on only
inside their heads.

Isn't it fascinating that the SAME people who could
not see that Robin's behavior *had never changed*
from the Bad Old Days we've read about and the
Equally Bad New Days on FFL are the people who
*act just like him*?

That is, they all seem to live for *confrontation*,
for luring (or badgering, or insulting, or slander-
ing) people into one-on-one "battles" with them.
I honestly believe that for many of these people,
the ones who have been doing it the longest, that
the goal is no longer to "win," and assert their
opinions or their POVs as "better" or "more true."
They're "in it" for the battles themselves. What
their EGOs *get off on* is that direct battle with
other EGOs.

I've stated my opinion on this many times, and I
know that there are a few here who share it, and
find this description of what Internet chat groups
are all about (a place to "do battle," and argue
incessantly about things that only EGOs could
possibly care about) is rather sad, and kinda
misses the point. I don't understand the motivations
that such people have to turn *everything* into some
kind of imaginary "battle" that they think they can
"win."

But then, my EGO isn't terribly attached to the
opinions I post from time to time. They're JUST
opinions. WHY on earth should I get involved in
"defending" them or arguing about them?

It seems to me that a much better use of my time
and my energy is to just *present* opinions, and
leave the "debating" of them to those who are
attached to their own opinions.