--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "card" <cardemaister@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Seraphita" <s3raphita@> wrote:
> >
> > Franklin Merrell-Wolff (younger readers will have to look him up on
> > Wikipedia as he's fallen into obscurity in recent years) claimed that he
> > never learned a single meditation practice that he didn't have to
> > "tweak" before he could get the maximum benefits from the practice. I
> > have to confess, I've had the same experience with TM. The effortless
> > repetition (or favouring) of the mantra for sure elicited some dramatic
> > changes in consciousness, including (on rounding courses) experiences of
> > Richard Bucke-style "cosmic consciousness". But the TM technique always
> > insisted one concentrate (if "concentrate" is the right word) on
> > "hearing" the subtle sound of the syllable - with no reference given to
> > where ones vision (perhaps a better expression is "inner vision") might
> > be centred. I've since found that, for me, allowing my "inner vision"
> > awareness to centre on the space immediately in front of my eyes greatly
> > enhances the effects of TM and makes me more centred immediately after a
> > mediation session. (I'm not actually crossed-eyed (!) during my
> > sessions, but presumably the location does suggest the Ajna chakra.)
> >

> Seems to me like "good old" saMyama (dhaaraNaa -> dhyaanam ->
> samaadhiH) on the ajñaa-cakra, or stuff, instead of,
> say, naabhi-cakra (navel)??
>
> Go figure.

Well, in using the compound word desha-bandha (place-binding)
Patañjali doesn't seem to specify which tanmaatra should
be applied doing the saMyama-s.

In the case of TM-siddhis, shabda-tanmaatra (sound) is utilized. But
it seems plausible that at least also ruupa-tanmaatra (visualising) does the
job?