--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@...  wrote:

> I didn't know much about Motown, until I met my step-sister, who grew
up there. Also learned about Lake St. Clair, "the sixth Great Lake", and
how Detroit was the Silicon Valley of the 50's and 60's. My stepmom's
name was Pat Nixon - just not *THE* Pat Nixon...

> Regarding past products of Detroit, I had a 1966 Dodge Dart slant-6,
column shift, station wagon, with an AM radio, hand crank windows, and
no AC. I bought the car, in 1975 (for $500), because when I turned the
engine on, the engine was soooo quiet. I think I put 100K on that car,
cross-country.

> I also own a 1997 Jaguar XK8 coupe (my addiction), with a V-8, built
in the UK, but fully redesigned by Ford, and they did an amazing job!
The car is actually reliable, and has near instant response on the road.

> Yay Detroit!
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" raunchydog@ wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"  wrote:
> > >
> > > Just as a bit of uplift for poor Detroit, this
> > > brilliant Chrysler commercial made for the 2011
> > > Super Bowl, featuring Eminem:
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL254Y_jtc
> > >

> > Thanks, Judy. Definitely an uplifting commercial. I recognized many
familiar images of my home town. Way cool shots of the Fox Theater.

> > My sister, an accomplished musician, even when she was 12 (I'm 7
years older) got to play a fabulous pipe organ at the Fox theater.
Gigantic pipes fill the entire theater. It's a treasure.

> > A man I was dating many moons ago, had a friend who played the organ
at the Fox. We thought it would be a kick for my sister to meet the
organist and play the organ. On a quite Saturday afternoon when no one
was in the theater, my tickled pink little sister sat facing a four
tiered organ console with hundred of stops. She was surprised that from
the time she played a note until she could hear it took 1 or 2 seconds.
The time delay threw her off, but what a thrill.
> > http://farm1.staticflickr.com/27/39398348_22851d5567_z.jpg?zz=1
> > http://youtu.be/hCDqP4_FM_c
> >
> > > Plus some cheer from a correspondent of journalist
> > > and blogger James Fallows:
> > >
> > > "...While the bankruptcy is sad, just as GM's bankruptcy on 1 Jun
2009 was, it'll be far sadder if Detroit can't continue to reinvent
itself as it has from the darkest days of 2008-9. The bankruptcy is
payment for the sins of the past - but this purgatory should lead
Detroit on a path to success. There's no reason that Detroit can't
mirror what North Carolina's Research Triangle did in the '90s and '00s.
And considering how much Detroit has made America look at herself over
its history - I think we should all be rooting for the Motor City to
rocket forward from here."