I always wish the best for Detroit too. My first car was 1984 Chevy
Cavalier for $500, it only lasted a year though - but it was my fault - I
was new to cars, let the car overheat, damaged the transmission and
possibly the engine? Anyway my professional career was also kick started in
the Detroit area, working on developing an Inventory Control system for the
Chrysler Company Car Program.

Now a funny story. I used to be like the cold, heartless Xeno back then, of
course in my defense I was only 25 but I was training the employees there
and one of them was a single mom, really cute. I don't know how we got into
the discussion but I remarked, much like how Xeno does here, that children
are better off with both parents and she got really mad. She called me  a
Middle Easterner with multiple wives, I didn't correct her because she
already mad at that point. She did apologize to me later on, not sure if I
did - I must have. When I looked back it was very lame and totally devoid
of empathy.