Yes, I think your reading makes sense of the quote. Thanks.
Curiously, William Burroughs during his time with Scientology became
convinced that the infamous e-meter (essentially a crude lie-detector)
actually worked like a biofeedback machine controlling brain waves and
so capable of inducing altered states of consciousness. (So making any
comparison with meditation even more suggestive.) He couldn't get anyone
within the organisation to agree with him and eventually fell out with
their "fascist" controlling mind set. He did make the grade of "Clear"
though. Maybe that compares with TM's CC!