> Ex-Followers Demonstrate Against TM
>
> From "Grounding the Guru," by Susan Gervasi, City Paper
> (Washington, DC), 7/13/90; 14,16.
<snip>
> TM-EX member Joe Kelley said:

This was probably Joe Kellett, not Kelley. He used to post
here, back in 2003.

<snip>
> Former TM teacher Diane Hendel, who has sued the organization
> for fraud and extortion, said the many bizarre mental
> experiences she had were considered a sign of spiritual
> superiority. "I saw little creatures with wings" during
> intensive meditation periods, she related. "They were like my
> pets. They'd tell me things." She was encouraged to believe
> that these winged beasties were "devas" -- Hindu spirits of
> nature. "I began not to be able to tell who was a person and
> who was a deva," she said.

Interesting. Seems like it wasn't just Robin and Mark
Landau who saw such beings.

Oh, and Dr. Peter Sutphen, now a practicing psychotherapist,
who used to be a regular here (and made a brief appearance
recently). I can't now recall whether it was in an FFL post
or on TM-Free, but he said that as he was writing it one of
the creatures scampered across his desk, so he was
apparently still able to see them. Didn't seem to bother him
any.

<snip>
> Mailloux said involvement in the movement becomes "a prison
> of specialness.

Mmm, that's a familiar phrase, isn't it?